Apply for this vacancy
Role: Health & Safety (SHEQ) Coordinator
Location: South Yorkshire
Salary: £30,000 plus company car/allowance and benefits
You will be working for one of the most prominent construction contractors in South Yorkshire. As one of the most respected and well-established main contractors in Yorkshire as a whole, you will be part of a stable, close-knit team who have delivered some of the most notable projects in the region in recent years.
Primarily operating in the commercial, industrial, manufacturing, hotel and leisure sectors up to a value of £50million, you will be part of a small SHEQ team responsible for the promotion of safe working and the management of the group’s various health and safety policies. Working alongside the SHEQ Manager, you will be a key member of the delivery team as well as helping to devise and implement the wider health and safety strategy.
To be applicable for this role, you must have at least 1 years’ experience working in a SHEQ capacity, ideally in the construction industry along with possessing the relevant qualifications.
Reporting directly to the SHEQ Manager, you will be pivotal in ensuring that the importance of the SHEQ function is embedded into the culture and philosophy of the business.
Effective communication internally, externally and at all levels is imperative for the successful completion of this role.
Main Duties and Key Responsibilities:
Health & Safety:
- Primarily operating to support the SHEQ Manager both at Head Office and out on construction sites.
- To work and operate in such a manner that continually improves the health and safety culture within the business as a whole. To implement and ensure adherence to the practices and procedures identified within the Company’s QA manuals.
- To assist in the monitoring and evaluation of health, safety and environmental practices. To assist in the development and implement new policy and procedure documents as required by best practice, process or legislative change.
- To carry out ISO audits to evaluate the effectiveness of health, safety and quality systems and procedures, and identify and implement improvements.
- To manage the collation, storage and analysis of accident and other health and safety data and to produce management reports, identifying trends with recommendations where appropriate.
- To ensure routine health and safety activities and checks are carried out, e.g. testing of portable electrical appliances and the review of risk assessments.
- To investigate or, where appropriate, to assist others to investigate the circumstances and causes of accidents and take necessary steps to prevent a recurrence, including keeping records of the investigation and action taken.
- To access professional support and guidance from other relevant organisations and external sources as necessary and to develop networks for sharing information.
- To represent the business in a reputable and professional manner at all times.
- To maintain a high standard of customer care and to contribute towards the development of a culture of customer service excellence within the organisation.
- To champion the Considerate Constructor’s Scheme and assist the Construction Department in maximising the CCS Score.
- A wide remit and will review the whole operation, carrying out environmental audits and assessments, identifying and resolving environmental problems and acting as an agent of change. An important element of the role is to ensure that employees are trained at all levels and that employees recognise their own contributions to improved environmental performance.
- Co-ordinating all aspects of pollution control, waste management, recycling, environmental health, conservation and renewable energy.
- Assisting with the implementation of environmental policies and practices.
- Assisting in ensuring compliance with environmental legislation.
- Auditing, analysing and reporting environmental performance to internal and external clients and regulatory bodies.
- Carrying out impact assessments to identify, assess and reduce an organisation's environmental risks and financial costs.
- Promoting and raising awareness, at all levels of an organisation, of the impact of emerging environmental issues, whether legislative or best practice, on corporate, ethical and social responsibility.
- Participating in environmental education and research.
- Writing environmental reports.
- Assisting with evaluation of legal compliance.
- Ensure that processes needed for the Integrated Management System (IMS) are established, implemented and maintained.
- Report on the performance of the IMS and any need for improvement.
- Ensure the promotion of awareness of customer requirements throughout the organisation.
- Liaise with the external assessment body on all matters related to the external accreditation process.
- Undertaking internal audits, reporting outcomes and implementing improvements.