Senior Quantity Surveyor London
Apply for this vacancy
Role: Senior Quantity Surveyor
Salary: £70,000-80,000 plus comprehensive package
You will be working for one of the UK’s leading contractors, synonymous across the UK in the delivery of landmark projects in sectors such as education, healthcare, local and central government and PRS/mixed-use.
There are currently a number of PRS and mixed-use projects being negotiated in London & the South East – in Berkshire and Surrey in particular – with values up to £60million. To compliment these schemes, there is now the need to recruit an additional Senior Quantity Surveyor to lead these negotiations before delivering the project on site.
To be applicable for this role, you must be a proven commercial lead on similar projects valued at £20million and above. You will have gained this experience working for another Tier 1 contractor or recognised regional player or developer.
Commercial activity within projects and services
- Lead the commercial & contractual aspects of a project and effectively manage production of project procurement strategy documentation.
- Agree strategies with the Area Commercial Manager consistent with the Regional / Divisional objectives and timetables that minimise risk, maximise opportunities and avoid disputes.
- Observe and discharge contractual imperatives (duties, obligations, notices, standards etc) to protect the company’s position and entitlements under contract or with insurances.
- Securing consistent commercial processes and philosophies following a framework of practice and process consistent with the company’s standards, the BMS and corporate governance.
- Ensure the commercial function delivers effective contractual solutions and strategies that balance risk and opportunity in bids and tenders
- Support and where necessary, lead key negotiations with prospective customers, partners, contractors and subcontractors
- Maintain a commercial focus in established and / or developing markets
- Risk & Performance Management
- Identify, calculate and actively manage appropriate risk & opportunity allowances
- Work on commercial issues including securing consistent commercial processes
- Adhere to approved practice, procedure and corporate governance
- Monthly view of periodic performance (financial & progress) and deliver effective management information on commercial activity.
- Relevant Quantity Surveying/Construction related qualification
- Previous experience with a Tier 1 main contractor is preferred
- Apply high level technical skills across a range of functional or business activities
- Effective cash management
- Provide commercial appraisal of projects for audit purposes
- Make commercially sound decisions (in terms of profitability and productivity)
- Effectively bring together and use the different skills & strengths of team members, ensuring succession planning, staff selection, development & training & dispute management.
- Raise commercial awareness in the business unit
- Proactive, Self-aware, empathetic and constructive leadership used to successfully plan and deliver change and management of projects.
- Focus in on the long term benefits to the company when making plans and decisions
- Clearly demonstrate the capability and drive to successfully carry out the key requirements of such a senior position
- Build trusting relationships based on open communication and mutual respect
- Demonstrate the appropriate passion, energy and enthusiasm to succeed