Senior Quantity Surveyor West Midlands
Apply for this vacancy
You will be working for one of the UK’s largest privately owned contractors, synonymous across the UK in the delivery of landmark projects in sectors such as education, commercial, residential, leisure and the wider public sector.
With an increase in workload through the pre-construction team, there is now the requirement to bolster the commercial headcount in the Birmingham office to complement the tenders currently being negotiated as well as ultimately leading one or more of these schemes on site once secured.
With particular involvement in projects like student accommodation, PRS, schools, local/central government and leisure, you will benefit from a varied portfolio with much of the work procured through frameworks.
To be applicable for this role, you must be a proven commercial lead on schemes in excess of £10million. You will ideally experience of working on tenders and will have gained the bulk of your overall experience working for a main contractor/s.
Responsible for all financial aspects of the project working closely with the Project Team to control all commercial & contractual matters. Deliver desired margin return utilising high standards of commercial acumen.
· Attend tender presentations for new projects, contribute, lead commercially and present
· During proposal stage, prepare the budget and prelims build up, obtain and vet trade contractor bids, compile the company information section for the proposal document and collate the overall document
· Prepare trade contractor bid list in conjunction with the Project Manager and obtain approval via team meetings
· Confirm project insurance arrangements
· Prepare and monitor bid package tender schedule and report against the cost plan where required and advise on selection of trade contractors
· Advise client on contract procurement routes available
· Prepare and monitor Subcontract Procurement Schedule, compile trade contract bid documents and carry out tender analysis and issue purchase orders
· Place orders and instruct / manage trade contractors. (Including compiling subcontracts/works contacts/trade contracts)
· Advise on product selection, specifications and assist with the value engineering
· Manage change orders in conjunction with the Site/Project Manager
· Prepare, submit and agree monthly costs reports, collating information from other Project/Assistant surveyors as necessary
· Prepare, submit and agree periodic valuations for work completed to date with trade contractors and the client incl preparation of rolling final account & subsequent final account agreement.
· Prepare Cost/Value Reconciliation (CVR), create regular budget and price updates, update computerised cost control system and prepare the monthly cost and progress report for Directors responsible.
· Risk & Cash Management.
· Involvement in BD / developing relationships with key clients & design teams
Essential skills and qualifications
· Problem solving
· Communication skills, both inside and outside the company
· Ability to develop client relationships
· Give broad cost advice and conceptual budgeting
· Actively prepare proposals and act as the key presenter
· Prepare contractual documentation and submit and agree ‘claims’ to client and professional teams in a non adversarial manner
· Mentor new staff
· Delegation and staff management/motivation skills
· Promote company philosophy and culture
· Contract forms and terms knowledge
· High level of general surveying skills and commercial awareness